What Happens if I am Selected for Verification?
The Financial Aid Office will verify the accuracy of all applications of students selected by the Department of Education or by the Financial Aid Office at Lackawanna College. Federal aid cannot be finalized until all required documentation is received and eligibility is determined. Students selected for verification will be sent an email by the Financial Aid Office with their Personal URL (PURL) link. The student will click the link, verify their identity and create an account.
Once you have created the account, and you need to return to the verification website, you can log in to the site at:
All required tasks must be completed via this website as soon as possible in order to receive any Financial Aid.
The college continues to send reminder emails (up to 6 per semester) until the student creates a user account and completes verification. Failure to complete verification within a certain time period may result in cancellation of federal and/or institutional aid. After a review of this information, a student’s change in eligibility may require a change in a student’s Financial Aid Offer. Students will be notified in a revised email of any changes. Financial Aid Offers may also be revised due to a change in the student’s enrollment status, housing status, and receipt of outside sources of aid. In determining a student’s eligibility, the Financial Aid Office is governed by federal, state and institutional regulations which may limit the type and amount of aid a student can receive.
How do I Retrieve Tax Transcripts?
You can also retrieve your financial information by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of FAFSA on the Web. Go to FAFSA.gov, log into the student’s FAFSA record, select “Make FAFSA Correction”, select the Financial Information section and click on “LINK to IRS” and follow the instructions. Once the data has been successfully transferred, sign and resubmit your FAFSA.
Steps for verifying your identity link:
Follow these steps to complete the financial aid verification process.
- Click on the Personal URL (PURL) in the email you received from Lackawanna College. (The email will be sent to the email address you listed on your FAFSA.)
- Verify your identity by entering your personal information.
- Confirm that your personal information is correct and fill in any blank fields where necessary. Note: Some fields may be auto filled based on what you listed on your FAFSA.
- Create a username and password.
- Select three security questions you can easily remember and enter in the answers.
- If you are a dependent student selected for verification, the Parent Information Box will appear. Enter in the information requested and click “Next” to continue.
Congratulations! You have now verified your identity and you can move on to uploading (or faxing) your documents. Please be sure to follow the instructions carefully and accurately for faxing or uploading your documents.